Thursday, December 18, 2008

Our Struggle with Infertility


I thought I would start out with telling how our daughter came into our life. As many of you know, we struggled with infertility for many years. For those of you who do not know, I felt lead to post this so that it may give someone hope in a time of hopelessness. For almost eight years, we did not know if we would ever be parents. There were many ups and many more downs, testing, surgery, hormone treatment, and failed attempts at pregnancy. It seemed as though everyone around was having children. When we were younger it didn’t bother me as much, but now we were at the age where all our friends were having babies and it hurt every time you heard the words “I am pregnant” You want it to be you so badly. You keep thinking this will be the month and then once again disappointment. It puts a huge strain on all your personal relationships, including your marriage. I felt as though I lost touch with so many people, because if I could not have a baby, I just wanted to be left alone.
Then after a softball game, a friend of ours who had learned of our situation wanted to pray for me. She told me that she had the gift of fertility and prayed that God would bless us with a child if it was his will. Well, that was in May 2006. I felt my hope return, and thought for sure that I would be pregnant in the next couple of months. August comes, hasn’t happened yet. Then in Church one Sunday, Our Pastor’s sermon was about Sarah and Abraham. He kept saying not in your time, but in God’s time. You have to ask and wait patiently on the Lord. I was at my lowest by now and I prayed that the Lord take my burden and not allow me to worry about it anymore. That day, I gave it over to Him and put it in His hands.
On August 29, 2006 I woke up to get ready for work. I went downstairs and the number for Doctor’s Hospital was on the caller ID. I immediately panicked fearing someone in the family was sick. Then I realized there was a message. It was from the friend who prayed for me back in May. (She was a Nurse @ Doctor’s Hospital) She just wanted us to call her back because it was extremely important. My husband called her back and she said that a woman had a baby the night before and wanted us to have it. We were in shock. There was a lot to do that day, but by 4:00 PM, we had set up a meeting with this woman and our Attorney for 9:30 the following morning. We arrived at the hospital the following morning, and left that afternoon with a 2 day old baby girl!!!! All I have to say is GOD IS AWESOME!!!!!
It may seem hopeless, but God is always there. He may not do things when you want, but when you least expect it, there HE is.
And let me tell you now, Chase Isabella was worth the wait!!!

4 comments:

  1. Love love love your story! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, when you least expect it God answers prayers! You had about as much preparation to be a parent as we had with our adoption! And I love the name Chase for a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Kendra..I just read your story and it is amazing how similar the stories are..Someone who felt the same way I did at the same time..and just about the same prep time..God is so good..your boys are precious..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, this is the most AMAZING story! Talk about God working things out in your favor! I was so hurt when our last adoption failed, because we had put the most time into it. I didn't understand what God was trying to tell me...we couldn't conceive, yet we couldn't adopt either?! I was so angry and upset and disillusioned. Then, through agreeing to TTC again, I found out that I have PCOS. If we had not gone down this road again, I would never have known, really. My mother and grandmother have both gotten uteran cancer from this disease (my grandmother did not survive, my mother did); and I was on my way to that outcome. So, in a way, the adoption failing brought me to my diagnosis and a renewed sense of hope. Thank you for sharing your story; I hope that we will be as lucky as you one day! :)

    ReplyDelete